The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk Sleek, fast and cool. Discuss your Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage
Ironworks Magazine

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
beau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to all
Default 13.5" shocks vs. 14+" - Any noticeable difference?

I've landed on getting Progressive 412 13.5" shocks in my Iron 883 "cafe" project based on what I've seen so far but wondered...

Are there any noticeable look/fit differences between getting 14+" shocks versus 13.5"? The 412 look to max out options-wise at 13.5" but wasn't sure if it would be worth springing (pun intended) for a larger size.

I'm 5'9" and 150lbs so I'm not a large/tall guy so hopefully it won't feel like mounting a sky-scraper while hopefully achieving the look and clearance of a cafe-oriented setup.

Thanks guys!

-Beau
Old 23rd July 2012
Know It All

beau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to allbeau_cauchemar is a name known to all

Making a correction: based on *Progressive's website* they only list the 412s for the Iron 883 to go up to 13.5" but didn't realize that they in fact sell a 14.25" 412 model.

Now knowing that I could get the larger size for the same price I'm very curious as to anyone's thought on any differences seen/felt.
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
jb/trade is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_cauchemar View Post
Making a correction: based on *Progressive's website* they only list the 412s for the Iron 883 to go up to 13.5" but didn't realize that they in fact sell a 14.25" 412 model.

Now knowing that I could get the larger size for the same price I'm very curious as to anyone's thought on any differences seen/felt.
would you know if the 14.25 fit a 2012 48 model sporty?

also I saw in a post in another section which stated you thought the v max 13.5 were to stiff?

stiff like a sport bike?

thanks
Old 30th July 2012
Know It All

The 48 and Iron I believe both have 11" stock shocks so I suppose it would be possible. Not certain about this. Might look kinda strange with such a fat rear tire though.
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_cauchemar View Post
The 48 and Iron I believe both have 11" stock shocks so I suppose it would be possible. Not certain about this. Might look kinda strange with such a fat rear tire though.
well Im still mapping my upgrades out but Im just wondering how the stance of the bike would be given it does have big tires, I want to go for a cafe look but I know obviously cafe racers don't have big front tires so I'm trying to picture my 48 with RSD clip ons/speedo relocator, Chainsickle rear sets, big 14.25 progressive shocks or 13.5 and Vance and hines competition 2 into 1 exhaust..

here was my previous build

2001 sporty 883

Know Thy Hog

Old 30th July 2012
Know It All

Very cool. I've been thinking about chopping or deleting my rear fender and struts, too. (sidebar: was it hard to do? Haven't looked up much on the process yet.)

As far as a Cafe 48 goes there should be pics around of others having done something like this. Then again there's always this > http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2012/0...r-bike-winston
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
load.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished road

Like I think I said before, the 14.25 has more travel.....So, while you are not on your bike, it will sit a little bit higher, and from what I have researched, the 13.5 will be about the same when you get on it. Mine with the 14.25 feels a little too spongy. A 13.5 with a 1" lowering block installed upside down is what most of the guys on here have said being the best...for progressives. I went with 14.25 because I am a cheap @$$ and I got em for 60 bucks cheaper than the 13.5s. Chopping the fender and struts is easy. 4 1/2" angle grinder for the struts, and a demil with 10,000 cutting disks makes a clean line. Just determine legality of side mount plate holders in your local area. Unless you don't mind riding dirty The only issue with shock install I have come across, is if you have stock pipes you MAY have to dent the muffler to make a fit for the bottom eye hole.
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by load.toad View Post
Like I think I said before, the 14.25 has more travel.....So, while you are not on your bike, it will sit a little bit higher, and from what I have researched, the 13.5 will be about the same when you get on it. Mine with the 14.25 feels a little too spongy. A 13.5 with a 1" lowering block installed upside down is what most of the guys on here have said being the best...for progressives. I went with 14.25 because I am a cheap @$$ and I got em for 60 bucks cheaper than the 13.5s. Chopping the fender and struts is easy. 4 1/2" angle grinder for the struts, and a demil with 10,000 cutting disks makes a clean line. Just determine legality of side mount plate holders in your local area. Unless you don't mind riding dirty The only issue with shock install I have come across, is if you have stock pipes you MAY have to dent the muffler to make a fit for the bottom eye hole.
hey would you mind showing me a pic of your bike?

Also, anyone have a price for the chain sickle rear sets? I see they are 350 but I also see more parts you can add on the order forum..
Old 31st July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
load.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished roadload.toad is on a distinguished road

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...1395665&page=2

Chainsikles for rubbermounts are 350 or 400 depending on standard shift, or race shift. 125 for rear brake line, a few bucks for knurls footpegs if you don't want to use the stockers. Shane makes them to order I believe, he needed to know exactly what exhaust I was running. Paid him on paypal, he shipped 7 hours later. Outstanding dude to do buisness with.
Old 31st July 2012
Know It All

Toad your bike is definitely a fine looking cafe and needless to say has been something of an inspiration for what I have in store for mine. I'll pretty decided on getting 13.5s at this point and like you said the block can be added later if desired.

I'm still on the fence about rear sets due to being decently comfortable riding very leaned forward typically already (with mids) but still might take the plunge if I end up getting a 2-1 (if not the much cheaper drag pipes I have picked out as an alternate.)

This is a Photoshop mockup of what I have come up with for mine so far >

(With an aftermarket slash-cut exhaust and not the stock 1200 ones seen here.) This picture has 13.5" shocks, Le Pera Daytona seat, RSD clips and speedo/headlight kit, wood grain oil/battery covers, 4.5 gallon Custom tank with pads, and a slightly-chopped rear fender.
Know Thy Hog