The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
prbetts (67), 1988XL (63), jbcant (62), gearman (59), rejeanprimeau, Hdrider8831200 (53), AOW (46), adair727, Mechano (42), 64physhy (42), Buckshot (40)
Fix My Hog
Licks Holiday
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about
Default synthetic oil?

Anyone using synthetic oil in there ride? Was gonna do my 2nd oil change since the rebuild and thought about using synthetic oil just looking for some feed back on thoughts on synthetic..
Old 28th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

I have an 09' and been using synthetic since my 1K service. Started with syn 3 and then switched to Redline 20w50 (also synthetic) around 13k or so. Now at 21k about to switch to Redline 20w60. I use Redline 75w90 gear oil (#57904) in the primary. It's really just a matter of preference. Bike runs and shifts smooth.
Old 28th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL250R
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
bklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to behold

Here we go........

2003 XLH 883H
1984 Honda XL350R
1987 Honda XL250R
"Only the dead know Brooklyn"- Thomas Wolfe
http://backwoodsrambling.blogspot.com
Old 28th July 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
big andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of lightbig andy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjack View Post
Anyone using synthetic oil in there ride? Was gonna do my 2nd oil change since the rebuild and thought about using synthetic oil just looking for some feed back on thoughts on synthetic..
If i was you stick with mineral oil not synthetic no good to mix the two as you will not get every drop of mineral oil out of your motor before you put the synthetic in and if it is a fresh motor dont take the risk just my opinion but see what others say
Old 28th July 2012
Turbo Mafia

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant future

Synthetic will mix with mineral oil just fine with no problems.....

I switched at the first service to Syn 3 , since then Ive run nothing but Amsoil...but thats my preference.

The most important thing is whichever oil you choose , use a quality oil, and change it regularly.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngeezer View Post
Here we go........
+1 yes Nikki
Old 28th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,tried a,synthetic blend,not even full,synthetic 20-50. the oil leaks the that i,had considered,acceptable,were now a,problem. i'll,never use anything but straight 50w,dino,in an ironhead,again.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 28th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
the most important thing is whichever oil you choose , use a quality oil, and change it regularly.
+1
Old 28th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjack View Post
There is an entire sub forum titled "Lubrication and Lubricants"
Old 28th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

think i will stick with the valvoline 20-50.I havent read many good thoughts on the synthetic in the irons.Dint mean tto start a thread for no reason but wanted to hear thoughts from ironhead riders and the lube section sees mainly evo guys..

I got 650 miles on the motor and its just a quite as it was when i fired it up the first time after rebuild. I think my speedo makes more noise then the whole motor minus the exhuast ,lol dam sqeeky thing and right at 60 mph of course.
Know Thy Hog