The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Lickscycles
RYCA Motors
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1988 1200C
IronMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

My 09 Nighty Bottomed out all the time. I even replaced the shocks with Road King air rides...no dice. I know he definately will bottom out, its not him, its the bike. I have had 6 harleys, all sporty's and the Nighty was the only one that did that. I scarped my kickstand almost every ride effortlessly!
Old 30th July 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
frank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura about

Mine was hard to ride too, and I'm no rookie. The bike just isn't set up for carving corners. But since I removed the "curb feelers" from the pegs, put on 1 inch longer rear shocks, and Progressive fork springs, and changed the pipes, I haven't scraped anything.
Old 30th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The bike is definitely not designed to be a knee scraper... so if he is riding it like a sport bike then he for sure will scrape stuff.
That's a low scoot. It's going to scrape.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 30th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

Well there isn't much clearance between the ground and the frame with a person on it. anything close to that height will scrape the frame when going over it. happened a few times with my iron, but now i try not to go over any speed bumps if i can help it.
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
LilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura aboutLilWop has a spectacular aura about

Happens to me; all the time. Is your nephew a little husky? I changed my pegs as the feelers hit every ride - when I am riding with a little more spirit the kick stand rubs every left turn - I have even scraped my exhaust a few times (although it was the stocker). It IS a problem with this bike - if you can call it a problem - He did buy a down low "hot rod" style bike!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Other Motorcycle Model: super glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 01
sloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura aboutsloth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey55 View Post
He needs to take the safety course before he gets seriously hurt or hurts someone else.

A Sportster is not a beginner's bike.

E
He did the safety course. When i heard he got it i was a bit surprised. Iam afraid he,s going to hurt himself but like i said before i think he might be a little gun shy now.

I,ll mention the shock adjustment to him also. See if it helps. Thanks again folks. I,ll report back at a later date.
Old 31st July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

Not much of a lean angle on these bikes before scrape....scrape. nature of a low cruiser.
Old 31st July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

It's a low bike.

FOR THE RECORD - What scrapes is going to vary with pre-load adjustment/rider weight and road conditions (flat, on-camber or off-camber).

Generally speaking if the preload is set firm enough he MAY scrape the pegs or feelers, but on midmount bikes he can also scrape the hard mount itself.

You may also scrape the kickstand bracket on lefts and, as you noticed, you may also scrape the muffler mounting bolts on the right side.

Personally our 1200L scraped just too damn often and limited cornering too much for my tastes and we eventually raised both the front and rear.
Old 31st July 2012
Senior Chief Slacker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 Honda 300 4TRX
d_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to behold

Put some RK air shocks on the rear, it raised mine a inch or so.

When I was old enough to ride a motorcycle and got my license, I bought a '69 Sportster.
Chuck Zito

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

(DTC) Diagnostic trouble codes

Membership Voluntary Roadside Assistance List
Members helping members out on the road
Old 31st July 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
oldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of lightoldghost69 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey55 View Post
He needs to take the safety course before he gets seriously hurt or hurts someone else.

A Sportster is not a beginner's bike.

E
+1. And yes, a Sportster is not a beginner's bike indeed.
Know Thy Hog