The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Superbrace.com

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
oupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant futureoupa has a brilliant future

Brand new bike? BOTH bolts let go? This is something they ought to be right on top of! This is a real safety issue - if it were to happen at speed.

It's unlikely two bolts would break for no reason.
If it's an isolated issue, it's likely due to someone over torquing the bolts, which probably means there are other bolts on it under the same stress, that should be checked and corrected.
If not an over-torque problem it would mean bad bolts, which would spread the problem over more bikes built in that lot.

The factory SHOULD want to rule out and or correct any of these scenarios ASAP. Either of the two latter ones could possibly result in a recall and they don't want that. Best case scenario though is for them to do it before an outside agency tells them to or publicizes a problem. Remember Toyota's market share plummet because some dorks didn't have the presence of mind to pull their floor mat out from under the gas peddle? Instead the media suggested there was a deadly defect. No company wants to go through that!

If the dealer stonewalls you, go higher and the sooner the better and make sure you do two things. Tell the factory folks every detail of your dealership experience and then never forget how these A-holes treated you when you need future service!!!
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Jay Mack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me.
I am located in Sydney, Australia. There are only a few hd dealers here, this being the biggest. Are they are well known for poor service .

They have no proof of the bolts being touched by a outside source. I believe they are basing their conclusion on 1) perhaps this has Infact never happened before?
And 2) they have looked at the minor mods I have done myself and think this is a 'DIY' guy and he has had it apart.

I have been sure to document every step of the process, and have a lengthy list of wrong doings by them as far as this matter is concerned.
I am at work atm but once I get home I'll attempt to get some pics up.
Thanks again, you have given me some great stuff to work with.
Old 30th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Billyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to beholdBillyj7175 is a splendid one to behold

I'm assuming the transmission seal they replaced was the drive pulley shaft seal? The reason I ask, is did they remove/reinstall the RH forward control during the seal replacement?...I don't have my TSM in front of me, but I'll check it later to see.

If so...THEY overtorqued it...
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

@Billyj7175 I believe so,that's what they told me. And that a seal and o-ring needed to be replaced. Thanks
Old 30th July 2012
Biker

@oupa thanks for your imput. I will be sure to use it .

On the day of purchase both me and a mate purchased bikes at the same time, just under $48,000 was spent between us. Some good service is much to ask.
When I made the switch from sports bikes to a Harley I knew they can be problematic. But to have these issues prior to its first service is upsetting to say the least.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th July 2012
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious if the foot controls are installed at the factory or as part of the dealer prep.

Also, I wonder if when they worked on the bike if they used the foot controls as a convenient point to tie the bike down on the lift.

I have heard of similar issues happening. A friend of mine went to pick up his wife at work on his Ultra and when he went to fold down the rear floorboard it came off in his hand because the bolt sheared off. Since we were 70 miles from home he took it to a different dealer and they fixed it. Not sure if they submitted a warranty claim or sent the bill to the dealer who works on his bike.

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 30th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
(414) 343-4056.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 30th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

I really hate to say it, but it sure seems like us sportster buyers don't always get the same service the big twin buyers do.
Old 30th July 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Other Motorcycle Year: 1997
Speedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really niceSpeedfreak is just really nice

No we usually aren't the guys dropping off our bikes with a credit card wanting fringe installed on the hand grips and shit lol so we get piss poor service
Old 30th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
(414) 343-4056.
also @ 1-800-258-2464
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Know Thy Hog