The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Superbrace
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
snow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to all

I just got a 530/106 Tsubaki last month for $33.
Old 30th July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Hey here's what he had in his other thread some of you maybe missing. ck this out

Last edited by ezmerf; 31st July 2012 at 00:05.. Reason: I think I fixed it
Old 30th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Sportster XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
rangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the rough

How is your swing arm bearings are they wasted to? maybe you where running the chain to tight all the up and down movement on the swing arm maybe caused all the damage.
Old 30th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

Alignment - I use a straightedge and ensure it is dead on. If I'm not touching front and back of both sprockets, not good enough. Spacers work great, in your configuration, but I'm sure you can handle that part.

Cracks - if a few are showing cracks, you can bet that the remainder are a breath away from the same. Uneven stress is being applied everywhere, with a chain in that condition. A few master links and a chain breaker are gonna lead to busted cases, possibly going down, or if you're "lucky", like me, just a good chain mark up your back, and maybe it'll miss your ear, like it did mine.

A few thou offset, won't hurt anything, as far as alignment is concerned, but if the rear is 1 degree, or even a half, off true, that will add up to one stressed side of the chain. Couple that with running it for a couple of years (how many miles do you pound off in a year?) on a sprocket that was not replaced when the chain was, and you are where you are at today.

I'd say time for full chain and sprockets.

Stupidity and being cheap, I blew a chain, which looked like yours (less the battery acid treatment) and got "lucky". I'd say I'm a little OCD nowadays on alignment and replacing sets, not just chains. Costs a few more bucks, but worth it, IMO.

You could put a second master link in your current chain, and blow another link in a few miles. Risk would be too high for me.
Old 30th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Is that one of those cheap-o farm equipment chains? Man, I wouldn't ride mine around the block if the chain looked like that, even with the cracked links replaced with master links. Whatever caused those to break may cause more of them to. If it breaks and slings off, terrible things could happen...like destroying the engine/transmission, locking up the rear wheel and throwing you down the road (or worse), flying off and hitting you, etc.

You need a new rear chain. The Diamond Heavy Duty chain is good and relatively cheap.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st July 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't replace everything....do not....repeat....do not ride that thing.
Old 31st July 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Throw that chain away before it causes you serious grief. Once a chain gets that bad it is all bad, so no point in patching it with master links. That is the worst condition chain I have ever seen.

And move your battery box over a quarter inch so, or whatever it takes so the chain is not hitting the battery, or the piece of stainless you put in there. That kind of abuse is only going to trash your chain again.

Your rear sprocket is so worn it is starting to hook so I would fit new sprockets too.
Old 31st July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 56
sturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of lightsturgmachinist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerman View Post
How is your swing arm bearings are they wasted to? maybe you where running the chain to tight all the up and down movement on the swing arm maybe caused all the damage.
It's a hardtail. Swing arm bearings are good to go

74 Custom Rigid XL,
"stuff"
Some dirty chrome, a little duct tape and lots of rust
One headlight, one tail light, one brake, and lot's of balls!
Old 31st July 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to all

are you saying battery acid isn't corrosive? try putting some on your eye balls. in a,diluted state,the corrosiveness is what's cleaning the oxidation off the chrome.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 31st July 2012
USCG Mechanic Retired

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: FXE Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the roughtiderider is a jewel in the rough

Hey Sturg when that chain breaks (and it will) there will be a good chance it takes out your sprocket cover or even worst. I have a decent chain I just removed from my 72, if you want it send me a PM with your mailing address.