The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Lickscycles
Lickscycles

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Do not try and shift until the trapdoor is bolted in, if it's still popping out then the face of the cam side case has wear, measure the latteral play "in out" and find or make a sutable shim that leaves 1/16" play, not in any FSM.
Old 4th August 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

So what you are saying is if the door is bolted in and the shift shaft is in the pawl bowl and in the bushing if it pops out i need to put a shim or washer on the end that goes in the bushing to make it sit tighter to the tranny?And a 1/16 of an inch is proper play?
Not much info at all in the fsm...
Old 4th August 2012
Senior Bike Builder

randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Yes, that'll fix it, make sure the shim doesn't make contact with the gears, mine has a brass flatwasher I picked up at a local hardware store, the O.D. was a bit large so I sandwiched it between a couple nuts on a 1/2" bolt, chucked it up in a hand drill and ground it down on a grinder while running the drill, crude but it worked. used to fix the same problem on right hand shift bikes also, after grinding take a flat file and work it down flat again, the outer edges will grow when ground.
Old 4th August 2012
Chief Know It All

timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Randy, I went and looked over the shafts closely i can now see what you are saying.This new shaft the ball does not have as much of a bend in it.Which leaves it about a 1/16 farther out in the pawl.Here is a picture of the two shafts.

Now should i heat and bend the ball a bit more up or should i shim it? my old shaft is bent and i tried to use the new one when a reassembled my motor last month but couldnt get it then either so this is the problem in my eyes you nailed it randy.When i put the shafts one on top of the other you cant even see this 1/16 of an inch differance.
Old 4th August 2012
Chief Know It All

Thanks Randy. I think i will go for the shim as you first said..I likely got somthing around here.Randy rep has been added
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th August 2012
Senior Bike Builder

It'll work fine, I wouldn't try to bend that ball end.
Old 4th August 2012
Chief Know It All

well that wasnt it the shifter shaft with the thiinest of shims is still to tight!! With no shims it is under a 1/16th allready i did find the problem bet you cant guess..the darn arm the shifter ball is formed outta is to darn short , if you bend it so the ball is the same distance from the shaft as the original it doesnt have any bend to it.I tried every which way to fit it.I will take a few pics then i am gonna cut the ball shaft off and weld it back a lil longer bent it to fit and see what happens.With the ball not far enough out from the main shift shaft it isnt engaged enough to go threw the gears without sliping out..
this is the new one stretched to the max before i bent it almost straight it was 2.135

the original one

I know its not right to cut a piece out n weld it up but its junk anyhow now ,just want to see if it will work and if thats what the problem with the new shifter arm is.
Old 4th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

no possibility of reusing the old [correct] one? thank's for the photo comparison. care to mention the manufacturer?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 4th August 2012
Chief Know It All

Not really i think it would be to hard to get things straight with any kind of repair to the original as it is bent on the main shaft right by the splines, guess couls try to straighten it.Anyhow i did cut it off and weld it up just got to give it the final touch, which will have to be in the morning as my daughter really needs to go fishing.
Does anyone know of a good replacement for this shaft a brand or part number that will fit properly on a 77.
I will post the maker of this one when i find the bill.
I will make this one work untill i get a proper replacement, or run out of time tryin.
Old 4th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

h-d,p/n,is 34628-75 from part's book.
Know Thy Hog