The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all
Default Do you park in nuetral?

The manuel says not to shift when the engine isn't running, says it can hurt the tranny. I try to shift to nuetral before shutting down. On accasion I have parked in gear and started it in gear also.
The other day I parked faceing down my driveway and didn't trust the kickstand, so I put it in gear while it wasn't running. Then found nuetral before starting it. I'm gentle with it, I roll it around a little, so I'm not forcing it into gear or anything.
Is that bad for it?
Old 5th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 05 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: V star classic wife's
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
grizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the rough

I park mine in gear and shift to nuetral before starting to back it out of the garage.Been doing that since new and no probs in 30K miles.
Only time I park in nuetral ,is if I leave it running.
05 1200R Forcewinder XR air filter, Mikuni HSR 42,Super Trapp 2-1 pipe,TC88a ign., head light visor, chin spoiler, sport front fender, solo seat off 883, 12 and 1/2 inch dual rate Works shocks , dual rate Works fork springs
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER "old boy"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SPORTSTER CR (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
beuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond repute

Always on neutral.
Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

99.9% of the time I put mine in nuetral before I shut it off. That way, when I want to go for a ride, I can start the bike before I get on and leave it warm up while I'm putting on my gear. It's just easier that way for me.

And just for the record, I always look for the nuetral light before I hit the starter button.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Almost Always in neutral. Though sometimes if forced to park on a slight grade I will leave it in first to prevent any rolling.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th August 2012
Rubber Mount Jockey

Sportster/Buell Model: Dearly Departed XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
JohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Hoffa View Post
The manuel says not to shift when the engine isn't running, says it can hurt the tranny. I try to shift to nuetral before shutting down. On accasion I have parked in gear and started it in gear also.
The other day I parked faceing down my driveway and didn't trust the kickstand, so I put it in gear while it wasn't running. Then found nuetral before starting it. I'm gentle with it, I roll it around a little, so I'm not forcing it into gear or anything.
Is that bad for it?
That's the first time I've heard that! But I don't have a manual and it wouldn't surprise me at all that HD would note that. Kinda funny they would say that, yet shifting, occasional misshifts, banging through gears etc, behind 50 or more ft/lbs of torque is not a problem? Personally I try to put in neutral before I shut down, mostly because I occasionally forget to check for the green N when I fire it up, and since it doesn't have a neutral safety switch... I end up looking like the idiot I am

Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the grade for me. I thought it was pretty darn funny the first time I saw someone try to start their bike in gear. I also remember the first time I tried it. The crowd loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedge's Father....
Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
99.9% of the time I put mine in neutral before I shut it off.
Unless I'm on a grade.

Also, I ALWAYS shut my scoots off with the kill switch so in an emergency I'll shut it off that way without having to think about it.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 5th August 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
rabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enoughrabidchimp will become famous soon enough

I always park the bike in neutral. My idiot light always blew out when I replaced it, so its been "out" since 06 or so. I just always start the thing with the clutch lever pulled in, just in case. I always kick it into neutral coming to a stop too, and only put it in gear when I'm ready to roll.
-Aaron
Old 5th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 CHOP PROJECT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 CHOP PROJECT #2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
threat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to all

I don't know why HD would say that, but I don't see what the problem would be, as long as you're holding in the clutch when doing so. I mean, odds are you're just having to drop from 1st to N.
I think the reason they tell you to park in neutral is to help minimize incidents of people starting their bikes in gear and hurting themselves or the bikes by dropping 'em. Saying it will hurt your transmission just gives people incentive to make the effort to find neutral, even if it's not really true.
I park my bike In gear about half the time, and have been doing so for the whole 13 years I've been riding with no problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Know Thy Hog