The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
Dead Creek Cycles
Lowbrow Customs

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

Since Oregon is pretty flat, I always leave it in neutral whenever I park. If I left it in gear, I know I would forget to pop it back in neutral before I turned the key, and I never turn the fuel off either. In an earlier thread I mentioned a reason why I leave the fuel on; years ago I had a honda VT500 Ascot and I would forget to turn the fuel on and I could go about a mile before it sputtered, not so with the Sporty, as soon as I would fire it up and let it warm a bit, and ride away, It would go about ten feet n die!! But, no, I leave the Sporty in neutral with gas on.
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

er.....I meant Portland, well, in SE Portland it is pretty flat in some places, i.e., my driveway!!
Old 5th August 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud of

I park in gear almost every time
Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Never had issue with Sportster but I got in the habit of parking in gear from big twins. Shut the motor down, once it stops I let the clutch out and let it roll till compression stops it then I put it on the stand... On my big twins from years passed if you didn't do this you'd end up eventually shearing the stand stop and it would hit the ground in good time...so I still do the same on Sportster

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 5th August 2012
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

WHY? Only unless the sporty is parked on a grade..then it's always in neutral cause of the locking kickstand on H-D models..

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

Riding Through Life One Mile At A Time!!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th August 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud ofmadnss has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSarratt View Post
Never had issue with Sportster but I got in the habit of parking in gear from big twins. Shut the motor down, once it stops I let the clutch out and let it roll till compression stops it then I put it on the stand... On my big twins from years passed if you didn't do this you'd end up eventually shearing the stand stop and it would hit the ground in good time...so I still do the same on Sportster

I second that statement
Old 5th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
egadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really nice

dumbest thing ever... do you park your car in N? unless it is parked running it is parked in gear
Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
WHY? Only unless the sporty is parked on a grade..then it's always in neutral cause of the locking kickstand on H-D models..
Like I said, never had a issue with xl's, BUT have owned plenty of others that sheared safety stops or broke stand pins. If its parked on a grade or flat ground alike, if someone bumps it or the grade stresses the safety or pin they break and the stand will not hold it up its just a personal observation and choice... Buell had these issues to

Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSarratt View Post
Like I said, never had a issue with xl's, BUT have owned plenty of others that sheared safety stops or broke stand pins. If its parked on a grade or flat ground alike, if someone bumps it or the grade stresses the safety or pin they break and the stand will not hold it up its just a personal observation and choice... Buell had these issues to.

Just cause the safety is there doesn't mean it can't fail... Also its designed to keep the stand down as you rest it down on it...its not a parking brake

Old 5th August 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
Ain┤t no locking kick-stand on 4-speeds Evos, still I allways park in neutral exept for on ferrys or pointing down hill.

Sir Harry R. Ricardo
Know Thy Hog