The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather
RYCA Motors
Progressive Suspension

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Rocky Mountain High

I'm heading out after work on Wednesday August 15, 2012, for a 19 day trip to the Northwestern States to see the Rockies.

It's tough for me to take that many days off in a row, but this time I have my two most recent ex's helping me out.

My ex girlfriend is going to look after my business while I'm away (I work from home and she's also a paralegal) and my ex wife is going to live at my house while I'm away so my 18 year old son and his friends don't burn it down.

I'm not really planning a lot and I don't really know how its all going to turn out or how far west I will get, my loose plan is to visit and camp at some National Parks, Badlands, Grand Teton, Glacier, and Yellowstone.

So far I'm planning on staying at Sportsterdude248's place on Wed night, and Joesporty's place on Thursday night.

I just found out that a ADV guy is hosting a campout for the MotoGP in Indy on the weekend (Aug 17-19) so I'm going to incorporate that into my trip, and then head from there to my first National Park, Badlands in SD.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...ndianapolisgp/

On the way back I have a campsite booked for the Fairgrounds in Springfield IL for September 2 and a ticket in the Grandstand for the Mile Flat Track race on the Sunday.
Will be heading home from there.

I'd be interested in hooking up with any XLforum members along the way, although I don't know how many we have on the Great Plains or in the Rocky Mountain States.
I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to pack my laptop yet, if I do, then I'll post pics and reports from the road.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited by Phaedrus; 9th August 2012 at 23:35..
Old 9th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: iron883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light

Have a great trip, Pete.

Looking forward to your reports.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act; rather, a habit." - Aristotle
Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 (Kim's now)
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT
Other Motorcycle Year: 02
sportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could accompany you.
Old 9th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250s,tax paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud ofkkbii has much to be proud of

Have fun , be careful.
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
BKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud of

Pete, there is a pass available from the National Park Service for $80 that will give you entrance to any US Park that charges an entrance fee. It's good for a year. If you're going to enough Natn. Parks on your trip, it might be worth checking into. The Parks website has the info. usparks.about.com
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th August 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great trip Pete!
Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Peter: Nice how it's all coming together for you, and with both of the ex's a load off your mind. Do you still plan to cross in Sarnia? Maybe I'll run over to Kitchner and come back with you. Crossing down here is a whole lot less hassle!
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iron1 View Post
Have a great trip, Pete.

Looking forward to your reports.
Thnks Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdude.248 View Post
Wish I could accompany you.
I know you have a full plate right about now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbii View Post
Have fun , be careful.
Thanks Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Pete, there is a pass available from the National Park Service for $80 that will give you entrance to any US Park that charges an entrance fee. It's good for a year. If you're going to enough Natn. Parks on your trip, it might be worth checking into. The Parks website has the info. usparks.about.com
Thanks Brian I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Have a great trip Pete!
Thanks Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Peter: Nice how it's all coming together for you, and with both of the ex's a load off your mind. Do you still plan to cross in Sarnia? Maybe I'll run over to Kitchner and come back with you. Crossing down here is a whole lot less hassle!
Let me know, I'm not sure exactly my departure time on Wed, cause I have a hearing in the morning that may take a while. Your welcome to meet me here if you want. I wouldn't mind crossing on the ferry for a change of pace.
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
XL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant futureXL Ed has a brilliant future

Have a great trip Peter. I wish I could go with you. Please take the laptop and keep us informed. Some of us live vicariously through you!! Ride safe my friend.
Old 9th August 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
When I was at Yellowstone last month the guy there told me if you are going to 4+ National parks it's definitely worth getting an annual pass.
Know Thy Hog