The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Speedway Instruments

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Electrglide Classi
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
HOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enough
Default 1961 XLH - Suspension woes!

Hey guys!

Been lurking on the forum a lot over the last few months - life got in the way and I kinda left off on my rebuild of my trusty steed! Background can be found on the following thread:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=925529

The point of this post is that I was working on the front end since it is noisy when the suspension is worked and sometimes sticks when compressed - pulled both drain plugs and found the forks do not have any oil whatsoever in them. While the right side seems normal with the shock stud being secured by its retaining nut, the left side is another story altogether -

I asked my brother who had ridden the bike for a few years before it was "put out to pasture" whether he had worked on the forks at any time; he said no, but he did recall the bike having a helluva wobble over 50 mph!! Ya think?

I cannot find a sticky on teardown of these old 33.4mm forks here or anywhere else to date.

(An aside: Ya know I miked them and they come out at 1.312" - why did we capitulate to the ISO crowd with that 33.4mm crap - they are 1-5/16" if ya ask me!!)

Anyway, looking at the exploded diagram in the FSM, it would appear the shock absorber is either missing or currently residing up inside the fork leg, but I cannot figure out how!!

Before I start teardown which is undoubtedly necessary, has anyone seen this before? If it turns out the shock is missing, does anyone know of any vendor who still carries these parts? I have checked with J&P and VTwin so far and no dice - if anyone has a set gathering dust or a clue as to who might still carry same, please let me know - it is appreciated!!

Have a good one!
Old 10th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH "correct for era" HA
Sportster/Buell Year: '62
Other Motorcycle Model: G80 matchless
Other Motorcycle Year: 60
416rigby is on a distinguished road416rigby is on a distinguished road
Default Get em apart--

I have one damper assembly compleat and one side needing the spring, a new set is $180 from Legends, pricey but very well made and an exact replica. Take a pic of what you have I'll post a pic of what I have.

Steve
Old 10th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

A bit strange since on these forks, the spring pushes the damper down... Could be the spring is missing...

Take the wheel and fender out and slide the assembly down to inspect...

Patrick
Old 10th August 2012
Biker

HOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enoughHOMER308 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies so far - I was wondering if the spring would normally act to push the shock to the bottom of the fork leg - you are right, if that IS the case then either the spring or the shock should be missing -

Sure wish I could find some pictures of what I might expect on teardown - I'm thinking I'll have to fab something to get the piston rod retainer out - they ARE present as I saw them in there after I had pulled the fork caps.

I will be tearing it down tonite after work and will post up what I find -
Old 10th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Can't remember cause I've never tried the swap, but the late 60s damper is hollow, held by an allen screw, maybe the earlier damper has been changed on yours...

If you haven't the tool to get the top nut out, and if it's not too tight, long nose pliers can do the job...

Patrick
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH "correct for era" HA
Sportster/Buell Year: '62
Other Motorcycle Model: G80 matchless
Other Motorcycle Year: 60
416rigby is on a distinguished road416rigby is on a distinguished road
Default here is what I have

These have the bolt that holds them down in the slider, not the stud and nut of the early ones.
Old 10th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

my 1960 xlch,has the stud with nut.if that helps',any
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 11th August 2012
Biker

Default Disassembly so far ........

OK - here we go -

Tore the bike down and disassembled the forks - turns out the shock IS in the left side - the stud itself is missing - the screwdriver I used in the first pic of the thread was passing THROUGH the end of the shock since the stud was gone !

Left side shock

Right side shock - you can see how much water got in there from sitting out for 6 years before I got the bike!

Comparison - left to right shock - the top one is the right side, which appears to have a stud that is threaded in during manufacture; the bottom one is the left side which has absolutely NO detectable threads in the end. Also, there appears to be a roll pin that may have prevented the shock from rotating when the nut was tightened - it is somewhat missing from the left side as well:

As can be seen these are old school tubes from Frank:

When I took the piston rod retainers out (thanks to thefrenchowl for the tip on using a long-nose pliers) this is what I found:

Since they are 4" over fork tubes (they measure 26-7/8" OAL) I guess this is how extensions were made using the other stock parts - anybody got any insight on this - I'd like to know!

Lastly, when I look into the end of the left side shock, there are no loose parts and I can see the piston rod nut.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the nut was inadvertently left loose on the left side - over time and impact loads, the stud may have basically stripped out and fell to the ground with its retaining nut - plausible?

I am of a mind to tap the end of the shock to an appropriate size and use a socket head cap screw to secure it for the time being - any opinions are encouraged and appreciated!

Have a great evening!
Old 11th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

if this were mine,i,wouldn't have a,problem with replacing the broken stud with a,bolt. can't help but notice the brazed repair,the end cap doesn't look centered on the rod.
Old 11th August 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

When we extended the tubes and didnt want the new length springs we uses a section of gas pipe cut to size, thats what those extentions look like.
Know Thy Hog