The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
NRHS Performance Long 2
Superbrace

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1999 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1998 1200 Custom
nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough
Question sprayed carb cleaner on manifold seals,motor changed rpm?

My damn intake manifold seals keep going bad...I sprayed carb cleaner on the seal part while the engine was running and the motor bogged down on each seal, thus meaning the seals are bad? Also my plugs are too white for me, they were nice and grey. Is there any tricks to have longer lasting manifold seals?
Old 13th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs_nate View Post
My damn intake manifold seals keep going bad...I sprayed carb cleaner on the seal part while the engine was running and the motor bogged down on each seal, thus meaning the seals are bad? Also my plugs are too white for me, they were nice and grey. Is there any tricks to have longer lasting manifold seals?
1. What year bike, how many miles, how many seals?
2. How do you install them?
3. Leaking at head or carb?
Old 13th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough

1998 1200 custom,installed them with air cleaner back plate on, to make sure they line up..Never tried the the carb seal, just the head seals,
Old 13th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
1998 1200 custom,installed them with air cleaner back plate on, to make sure they line up..Never tried the the carb seal, just the head seals,
I would expect better success installing at the heads, first.
Old 13th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

I seem to be replacing these quite a bit, how long -should- they last when correctly installed?
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 73
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200s
big andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to all

hi maybe you are running to lean and its getting to hot and causing the seals to go bad thats my guess they should last a long time if you are running the right mixture .
Old 13th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

just ordered a seal kit, I'll be checking the plugs!!, mabey go with a bigger pilot jet
Although i read the plugs before the seals went bad and they were nice and greyish brown, So I might not be running lean, bike didn't spit or cough even blipping the throttle and there was no dexcel pop
Old 13th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud ofJohn Harper has much to be proud of

My manifold to head seals are originals, almost 22 years old. Should last a while I guess.

John
Old 14th August 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nate, when you're doing that test, it's very easy to get fooled. With most spray cans, if you press the spray can button all the way, I can about guarantee you that it'll get sucked into the air cleaner and change the rpm that way. You have to just barely spray around the seals to make sure you're testing them only.

Does the motor exhibit any other symptoms of an intake leak, hanging at a higher rpm before falling to idle?

Old 14th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

The bike runs pretty good as it sits. But i'll try to just barley shoot it on the head seal and only there
Thanks
Know Thy Hog