The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
Energy One Clutches
NRHS Performance Long 2
Biltwell
CV Performance

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: AMF XLS Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
MN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hastings rings confusion.....

On the second compression, I've got both a dot and an inside bevel........but the bevel is on the bottom ring face.

I.e. the dot is on the top of the ring, the bevel is on the bottom............so, both are supposed to be facing the piston top, but only one can.

Anyone seen this before with Hastings ?
Old 18th August 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
millwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enoughmillwright will become famous soon enough

Wish I could help you!! But I would be just as stuck.
Old 18th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

It is the bevel that counts. Facing the incorrect way it passes a lot of oil.

2nd ring bevel side down
top ring bevel side up

I do not have a lot of experience installing rings. I have a difficult time deciding if i am seeing a dot or just some random mark; the same deciding if there is a bevel or if it just looks that way to my old eyes.

But one time i got them wrong and i was using a quart of oil every 500 to 600 miles.
Old 18th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
stroker104 is on a distinguished roadstroker104 is on a distinguished roadstroker104 is on a distinguished roadstroker104 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Mailman View Post
On the second compression, I've got both a dot and an inside bevel........but the bevel is on the bottom ring face.

I.e. the dot is on the top of the ring, the bevel is on the bottom............so, both are supposed to be facing the piston top, but only one can.

Anyone seen this before with Hastings ?
Dot up....bevel down....it's a reverse torsional ring

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ContentDa...x?Contentid=72
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

the subject has come up here before. not specifically with hasting's,but with several brand's. my s&s piston rings have both bevel's up. mick had mentioned the brand that he is running,were both direction's. [i,hope i,recalled this ,correctly]
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2012

MN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
It is the bevel that counts. Facing the incorrect way it passes a lot of oil.
I was thinking of that; like a scraper on the wall, and just found some good diagrams showing same on their site.

Thanks Mick.
Old 18th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Oops, i was reading the Wiseco instruction sheet. Presumably it is the same for the Hastings?
Old 18th August 2012

Then again, with an inside bevel, it won't contact the wall anyway

Hastings site says always put the dot up, when present.
Old 18th August 2012
Breaking everything I fix

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
geoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant futuregeoff has a brilliant future

I have a set of Hastings in the shed, if you can't figger it let me know and I will see if the instructions are still with them.

Cheers
Old 18th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Oops, i was reading the Wiseco instruction sheet. Presumably it is the same for the Hastings?
Seems to be different Mick; Hastings says always have dot up, if one is present.

Inside bevel only applies (it seems) if there is no dot.

Dot trumps all it would appear, with Hastings.
Know Thy Hog