The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
Figure Machine

Motor Stage
View Poll Results: How far CAN you go before you HAVE to refill your (carby) 4.5 gal tank?
Less than 130 miles 7 5.19%
130 - 134 miles 8 5.93%
135 - 139 miles 5 3.70%
140 - 144 miles 4 2.96%
145 - 149 miles 8 5.93%
150 - 154 miles 9 6.67%
155 - 159 miles 4 2.96%
160 - 164 miles 10 7.41%
165 - 169 miles 11 8.15%
170 - 174 miles 12 8.89%
175 - 179 miles 8 5.93%
180 - 184 miles 13 9.63%
185 - 189 miles 7 5.19%
190 miles + 29 21.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2012
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank

Brad's taken me to task for ignoring carby owners (perish the thought), so for you owners of carby bikes with 4.5 gal tanks, how far can you go on the 4.5 gal tank before you have to fill up?
'The green machine'
Old 20th August 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Been getting to about 170m before hitting reserve. Don't like to push more than an additional 10 out of that. Did do a full 200 once (w/reserve), but I'm sure I was on fumes when I was gassing up.
Old 20th August 2012
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm sure I was on fumes
You were on something!
Old 20th August 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

I usually fill it up at 150-170 miles, Still have a bit in there, but it's phoenix, it's hot and pushing the bike sucks.
Old 20th August 2012
Girls Rule

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
fun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond reputefun4regina has a reputation beyond repute

I get 70+mpg and have a 5 gal tank. But I try and fill up every 300 miles or so since I don't know if I have any reserve. (I really should test it out sometime.) I didn't vote in your poll. :-)

Old 20th August 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Deimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to all

The correct question to ask would be what MPG we are getting. The exact capacity of a fuel tank is not needed to calculate this. The only thing needed is to top off the tank and reset the trip meter (or make an accurate note of the odo reading); then at the next fueling note the amount of fuel needed to fill up and the distance that you travelled. These are the two data points needed for calculating the MPG.

Today my MPG was 45. Here in Tennessee our gas has 10% alcohol. On a recent trip in Kentucky, the gas there did not have alcohol in it. Running that gas I got 53 MPG on the two tanks of fuel bought there. Based on this, it would be interesting to know how much alcohol is in the fuel being run along with the MPG. The fuel makes a big difference.
Old 20th August 2012
Brass Nut

The correct question to ask is what the OP wants to ask. If you want to ask a different question, go ahead, start your own thread.

You can calculate mpg all you want, but unless you know the usable capacity of the tank, you don't know how far you can go before you have to fill up.

I originally started a poll about the range you can get from the 2.2 tank on the EFIs, because I wanted to know if I could live with such a small tank (probably not), and folks asked for similar polls about different tanks and on different bikes.
Old 21st August 2012
Oldsmobile Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 12+ Honda dirt bikes
Other Motorcycle Year: Many
Chipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud ofChipper442 has much to be proud of

I get to about 110 or so and have to switch to reserve,and have only gone to about 145 before gassing up,it's possible I have a few more miles, but dont want to find out,because no matter where you live,pushing sucks!
Old 21st August 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with ya Folkie. The important # to me is what the ODO reads when I feel like I have to pull in to a station. That's how I ride. Me and Parrothead learned that out west, when a sign points to a gas station, it may be another 20 miles. (Not so here in the east) I really do want to test how far I can go on reserve one of these days. But AAA will bring me 2 gal of gas if I run out, so I'm covered!
Old 21st August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

When the bike was an 883 I got great mpg and didn't need reserve until 160 or so. That is when I would be looking for a station. Once it took me 60 miles to get to a station (because I kept passing the close ones) and pulled in a 210. I wasn't pushing yet. But I was sweating.
Now the bike is a 1212 and I go to reserve at 140 so I would be hard pressed to last until 180 or 190.
So after all that .the answer is I HAVE to get gas at 180. (to keep from hyperventilating)