The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1250 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
chrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud ofchrissenator has much to be proud of

JohnK, wery educational thnx, rep sendt your way.

I have a question, will a Buell oil pump fit a sporty? (just curious )

My experience with oil: I have used for the last 5years Full synt and 5W50 usually Mobile1, never had any blowby issues.
I tested with Pennzoil 20W50 just to see if engine temp went up, the temp rised in average of 15*C but most important I discovered blowby and as my engine never have dripped any oil I havent had to refill any oil between oil changes, now I checked yesterday and refilled 1/4 metric liter and this Pennzoil experiment has lasted for a month. Il change back to full synt in the weekend.
Old 30th August 2012
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

Another confusing point, at least on rubber mounts is the stated oil capacity of 3.6 qts. That is the capacity of the system, but due to the way the oil system is designed you can only drain out what oil is in the tank, (about 3 qts.). That leaves an additional 0.6 qts. in the motor. So if you add 3.6 qts. during an oil change, you will end up with 4.2 qts. in the motor.....too much.

So, to put it simply, only refill with as much as you can drain out, and no more than 3 qts. Even if you scavenge, (another story!), you should still only end up with 3.6 qts. total.
Old 30th August 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
DK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
The oil level in the tank holds little relevance, since these engines run a dry sump oiling system and the tank is a completely separate reservoir from the engine. The oil blowby is a symptom of poor oil circulation, in particular, the return (drain) path from the top end and an inadequate scavenge section. There is no rhyme or reason why keeping your oil at the midpoint of the dipstick should prevent oil blowby, you are treating the symptom, not the problem. Although it appears to minimize blowby in many cases, there is no logical explanation why it does so, at least none that I've read so far.

From all the accounts I've read here on XLForum, blowby, and wet-sumping (which I believe are problems with the same root cause) have the common theme of high rpm runs, which appear to overwhelm the scavenger pump. We all know that these engines are mechanically capable of running higher rpms, why are they rev limited where they are? Why are the Buell limiters set higher? Why do the Buells have a different oil pump?

HD's oil level recommendations are just a bandaid to mask the problem, it just happens to 'correct' the issue (most of the time) and puts the responsibility on the owner to prevent it. They won't correct the problem(s) because it is not cost effective for them, the Sporty is not their gravy train, they don't care.
Good info.

There is theory and there is reality.

Reality is that on most bikes if you follow the manual and keep the oil midway between the add mark and the full mark, AND use the correct viscosity for the temperatures you start and ride the bike in, you will have negligible blow-by, even when running hard.
Old 30th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
CoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of lightCoffeeGrinder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by threat357 View Post
for '04 and newer.

'03 and earlier got checked upright if I'm not mistaken.

Just throwin' that out there.
Good on you for writing this up, btw. Seems an awful lot of sportster riders are freakin' out thinkin' they have motor problems just because they find a little oil around their air filter area.
Correct, for the 2001 anyways, it states to check in an upright, level position.
Old 30th August 2012
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

All good information here for sure. And all this fuss is caused by the head breathers that are poorly made and poorly located. I just replaced mine recently and she's back to running like new again. One of them had actually fell apart and the foam oil seperator just fell out......Like someone always says, Most Sportster problems are self induced..
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th September 2012
Rubber Mount Jockey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
JohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissenator View Post
I have a question, will a Buell oil pump fit a sporty? (just curious )
As far as I know it is a bolt on item for the rubbermount EVOs, the fittings may need to be swapped. There are some posts here that make mention of this 'upgrade' with positive results. The Buell pump has a larger scavenger and smaller pressure section. Don't know the part number but it's noted in at least one of the threads.

Old 5th September 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Hagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastNLoose View Post
I have a thermometer dipstick without markings( bought it that way). Do you have an idea how I know when it is filled correctly? Is their a measurement from the top of the tank or dipstick flange. I have a 1986 883.
I'm not sure if they have always done it but on my thermometer dipstick for my 2009 there are 2 faint rings, upper and a lower. those are your marks. took me forever to see them. never knew it had marks until just recently.
Dyna bottom mount headlight, RSD Clip Ons, NRHS Hurricane 2" A/C, Hand made Lucite A/C Cover, Screamin' Eagle II Slip ons with BCT Monster Baffles fitted, Whittle Beast Hybrid Shocks-Using the HD 2 up low profile springs, Engine Tuning by me and my TTS.
Old 5th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGrinder View Post
Correct, for the 2001 anyways, it states to check in an upright, level position.
on my 98 I do it on the side stand on level ground at the bottom mark on the dip stick
Old 5th September 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 CHOP PROJECT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 CHOP PROJECT #2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
threat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun46 View Post
on my 98 I do it on the side stand on level ground at the bottom mark on the dip stick
suppose if you're only filling to the bottom mark you're ok, because the '98 should be checked UPRIGHT and level.
Old 5th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by threat357 View Post
suppose if you're only filling to the bottom mark you're ok, because the '98 should be checked UPRIGHT and level.
3 Quarts on the side stand on level ground puts it at the perfect level
Know Thy Hog