The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Get Lowered
S&S Cycle
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
RYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to all
Default What exactly defines a 'stage 1' air cleaner/filter??

Hello guys. I know there are numerous threads on this but I have not found a definitive answer.

I am wondering what exactly defines the stage 1 filter simply.

I have the k&n replacement air cleaner element on my sporty and I run it without the ham can (have run in very heavy UK rain many times without an issue) and the original but cut down backing plate which I will post a photo of. Now looking at the surface area of my filter and the surface area of the well know joker machine air filter element I cannot see how the joker machine could provide any better airflow to the stock engine than my home made job.

I would like to be proven wrong so I could justify the cost of the other 'stage 1' filters.

Out of precaution and for your info I added a fuel controller to my bike to add more fuel as I have short shots also. The bike really runs great and pulls brilliantly, a vast improvement over how this bike was when I rode it from the dealership.

So really the question is what is the difference between my filter element and other more rather expensive options. I know some of the other filters have larger elements which are wider etc but how much different does this make considering the stock motor can only pull in so much air???

Any answers or comments, negative or positive on my own set up are greatly appreciated as I am new and exploring my bike and it options with looks and performance.

Cheers

Here is a photo
Old 12th September 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
yozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to behold

personally i think you pay for the brand tbh. most open filters of a similar size i would have thought flow the same you just pay more for the brand . i think i read somewhere on here that some filters can restrict flow but thats only in high bhp motors i think.
Old 12th September 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Yes and no. I personally looked for one that specifically used a K&N air filter. The filter alone is going to flow more CFM's than a stock filter. Then you have different venturi's that flow the air into the intake manifold. NRHS or Hammer Performance is probably the best known for this as they use a nicely made metal one (billet) plus they use a K&N element. After all that is said and done you can choose one like the previous two mentioned that route the crank case breathers outside instead of back into the engine (Resulting in an even larger performance gain). I chose the Joker one because it used a K&N and I liked the looks. If I wanted even more performance I would have went with NRHS or Hammer.
Old 12th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

IMO. Stage 1 = anything better flowing than the stock paper filter with crappy plastic back plate and small opening in the front.

There are many good after market designs like the Hammer air filter that have built in venturi ridges.

K & N oiled filters seem like the prefered choice for the element and it's also a good idea to not suck in the breather oil mist, although some like the Arlen Ness Big Suckers do and are considered Stage 1 filters.
Old 12th September 2012
Greasemonkey

RYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to allRYHD is a name known to all
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozer13 View Post
personally i think you pay for the brand tbh. most open filters of a similar size i would have thought flow the same you just pay more for the brand . i think i read somewhere on here that some filters can restrict flow but thats only in high bhp motors i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorend View Post
Yes and no. I personally looked for one that specifically used a K&N air filter. The filter alone is going to flow more CFM's than a stock filter. Then you have different venturi's that flow the air into the intake manifold. NRHS or Hammer Performance is probably the best known for this as they use a nicely made metal one (billet) plus they use a K&N element. After all that is said and done you can choose one like the previous two mentioned that route the crank case breathers outside instead of back into the engine (Resulting in an even larger performance gain). I chose the Joker one because it used a K&N and I liked the looks. If I wanted even more performance I would have went with NRHS or Hammer.
Thanks for the replies guys, out of interest would I see a noticeable gain running an NRHS filter which vents the breathers outside the filter as opposed to my current set up or is this as above mentioned really only a benefit for high bhp motors?

Don't get me wrong the aftermarket cleaners look real nice but I try to be different where I can but still like to maximise performance aswell without dropping $$$$ on motor upgraded like cams etc etc.

So we think I'm getting about the maximum amount of air which is usable by the stock motor? Well I guess the question is, am I at stage 1 or would we say stage 0.75?

Cheers again for everybody's input positive or negative, this is how we learn.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYHD View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, out of interest would I see a noticeable gain running an NRHS filter which vents the breathers outside the filter as opposed to my current set up or is this as above mentioned really only a benefit for high bhp motors?

Don't get me wrong the aftermarket cleaners look real nice but I try to be different where I can but still like to maximise performance aswell without dropping $$$$ on motor upgraded like cams etc etc.

So we think I'm getting about the maximum amount of air which is usable by the stock motor? Well I guess the question is, am I at stage 1 or would we say stage 0.75?

Cheers again for everybody's input positive or negative, this is how we learn.
Honestly, I Doubt it. Once you get the engine breathing by changing or just modifying the stock airbox, Theres not a lot more gain to be had by increasing the air. What i mean is Yea one Air Cleaner may be capable of flowing 2% more air than another but that doesn't mean anything unless the current setup is restricting the flow. Once you open up the intake the engine is getting all the air it needs for the stock heads and cams etc...So dont spend money on the claims of HP to be had. Focus on whatever is currently limiting the power......

Choose the air cleaner setup you like and then move on.......
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 13th September 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that once you go inside the engine for ANY modifications you are STAGE II

Now do we have different Stage I levels ?

Well maybe !
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Old 13th September 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

Stage one is a better AC and better exhaust= tax paid.
Old 13th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 72
XKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
Plus a some kind of fuel management system.
Old 13th September 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmangb View Post
I believe that once you go inside the engine for ANY modifications you are STAGE II

Now do we have different Stage I levels ?

Well maybe !
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
Plus a some kind of fuel management system.
Mmm, ok guys so I guess I'm ready to wear my stage one badge as I don't fancy the looks id get if I wore the new stage 0.75 badge
I've achieved the stage 1 at a cost of £150 short shots, £125 dobeck fueller and 99p for my brand new K&N filter (eBay is great!) No labour cost as all self installed.

Total £276 for mine ($444)

It would be interesting to find out the cheapest stage 1 ever and also the most expensive... Listing parts and cost inc labour..
Know Thy Hog