The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs
Fix My Hog
Burly

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shunt vs. Series Voltage Regulators.

Hey gang, after seeing this post

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...09#post4463909

about stators getting whacked I investigated and used Aaron's from Hammer Performance recomendation about using a series regulator rather than the OEM shunt regulator our Sportys come with. I purchased a Cycle Electric series regulator from Hammer Performance and I will get it tomorrow and install it this weekend.

The difference between, a shunt regulator like our OEM and a series regulator is that the shunt regulator bypasses or "shunts" unused AC current from the stator to ground, even if our bike's system doesn't need the supplied AC current after rectification and regulation for charging the battery or running the lights, ignition, etc. That means the stator is always working "balls to the wall" and putting out max current...some to the DC system after the regulator rectifies and regulates it and the rest to ground.

I wanted to see this in action so I borrowed this from work...

a Fluke AC/DC clamp meter.

It has clamp jaws that are attached, or can be removed for remote measuring. Pretty cool!

I started the bike, (it was already warmed up from my ride home), and clamped the meter's jaws on to one of the AC leads coming from the stator to the OEM shunt rectifier.

I let the bike run for a minute to get the battery voltage up to 13.9 VDC so the only load on the regulator was the lights and ignition...about 9 amps. At idle, (around 950 rpm), the stator was already putting out more than the bike needed and shunting the rest to ground.

When I ran the RPMs up to over 2000, the stator was at full output, about 26 amps.

So, the OEM shunt regulator works as adverised and keeps the stator busy all the time.

The new series regulator I'm getting will only use what is needed by the DC system and let the stator breathe easy when it doesn't need to work so hard.

After the install I will post my findings and pics of the series regulator in action.
Old 21st June 2013
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Good info Lux, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the same measurements with the series regulator.

Old 21st June 2013
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

a crap I knew I for got to do something. but I did test it at idle will get more info for you but at my batt volts were 14.4 at idle 1000 rpm didn't do a amp test just yet but I will can fell a hp improvement thought weathere it be the new stater or both the new reg and stater but the bike runs smother and faster or im crazy.
Old 21st June 2013
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Scott...what's the Cycle Electric Part#?
Old 21st June 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 05R View Post
Scott...what's the Cycle Electric Part#?
Hey Rico!

Sorry, I seemed to have misplaced the actual Cycle Electric Part #. I'll post it here tonight when I get the regulator, provided it's stamped on somewhere or on the packaging.

If you order from Hammer Performance, the part # is 2112-0393. That's what I used when I ordered. See below:

Know Thy Hog

Old 21st June 2013
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice

Wow. That's a lot of amps it's putting out for no reason.
Old 21st June 2013
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
vspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to beholdvspkent is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone dissected a inop stator to see what failed on it ? Back in the day when I worked as a shop boy at a Alt/Starter rebuilder I saw many cheap solder joints fail on stators from heat.

Kent
Old 21st June 2013
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Jimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to allJimg is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspkent View Post
Has anyone dissected a inop stator to see what failed on it ? Back in the day when I worked as a shop boy at a Alt/Starter rebuilder I saw many cheap solder joints fail on stators from heat.

Kent
Good question. I doubt the stator much cares what it's putting out. Getting the load off the engine would be the attraction for me.
Old 21st June 2013
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scott.
Old 21st June 2013
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

it melts the wires about 1 inch from stator and load on the stator is every thing, why they run it to ground is stupid , you would never ask this out of a car alt because it would do the same thing once the systems fully charged the amps should go down to 4-5 amps but on a Harley system there is no break for the stator it littery working its ass of for nothing and I hope its nice this week end im woundering if my fuel milage will go up because with the new reg my stator wont be working it ass off .
Know Thy Hog