The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
BIKE BUILDER
Foxcreek Leather

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enough
Default Wont start, need ignition help.

For starters, I'm new to this site. My name is joel, I'm 24, and I bought my first sportster a couple weeks ago. Its a 1986 883 and it was all in pieces when I got it. I've gone through putting it all back together but it won't start. It sat for 4 years before I got to it but I know the previous owner and he claimed to have drained all fluids right before he took it apart (4yrs ago). Anyway I checked the spark, good. It has compression and is getting fuel, as far as I know. It doesn't start but misfires every once in awhile out through the carb. Looks like its pushing air out of the carbuetor so I'm thinking either the timing is way okff or I reinstalled the cam gears wrong, even though I lined them up perfectly when putting em back. Any discussion is welcome, I just need to find the problem.
Old 6th September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

Hey J, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are in the process of saving another Sporty. Good on ya!

Anytime that yer getting carb farts it means that the intake vale is opening at the wrong point in the piston's stroke. I would be popping open the camchest for a look-see. It's easy to get the marks on the cams off a little if it's yer first rodeo.If you do remove the cam cover, take some pics and post 'em up for the gurus to look over.

Does yer bike have hydro lifters? On my Ironhead with solid lifters, I would suspect pushrod adjustment. With hydros, I doubt that's the problem.

I wish you luck on yer quest. May you soon be grinnin' in the wind...
Old 6th September 2013
Biker

Jrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enoughJrob89 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mosey.

Does the position of the pinion shaft matter as long as it is lined up? I will have to open it back up and see, but does it need to be on a certain stroke or should it be good to go as long as its lined up correctly? The motor is all stock, tappets and rods. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

And grin I shall...
Old 6th September 2013

Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

The position of the mark on the piniongear is all that matters - it doesn't matter if it's compression or exhaust stroke. The mark just needs to be at 11 o'clock and you line everything else up to that. Here's a pic of mine when I installed the cams, of course you don't have the generator gear...

Old 6th September 2013
Biker

Yep, looks like mine. I never messed with the push rods other than taking off and putting on the rocker boxes to get the cams in. Could they have gone out of whack that easily? Other than that, should the bike run with the timing in any position? The manual says to get the bike warmed up and idling at 1650-1950 rpm before adjusting timing. So if it doesn't start, how could you adjust it....
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th September 2013

You could have a pushrod problem if you removed them and installed them incorrectly. The longer pushrods are exhaust and the shorter are intake.

It could be that the ignition timing is waaay out. Usually, most bikes will start with the timing plate set in the middle of the adjustment range. Have you tried static timing? I find that's a real good starting point. There are instruction in the Stickies...
Old 6th September 2013
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum...

Mosey is pointing you in the right direction to identify or rule-out timing/valve issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob89 View Post
Anyway I checked the spark, good. It has compression and is getting fuel, as far as I know. It doesn't start but misfires every once in awhile out through the carb. Looks like its pushing air out of the carbuetor so I'm thinking either the timing is way okff or I reinstalled the cam gears wrong, even though I lined them up perfectly when putting em back.
This is a good time to check and record the compression on both cylinders - make sure they are 120+ and mostly equal to each other - It will help assure the valves are working correctly...
Do you have a tester (or can borrow one)?

Did you have the carb off the bike? Disassembled? Factory Manual to reassemble it? New parts?

See this post...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...9&postcount=14

....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax
>>>> Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
Old 6th September 2013
Biker

It has the shorty super carb, but It was never taken off the bike. I might have switched the push rods in the front cylinder. I may have assembled both of the the same, which would mean that the intake rod and exhaust rods are switched. Which may make sense because its pushing air out of the carburetor. Anyway I'm off to the garage to check the rods. I figure that's an easier check since I won't have to drain anything and if that's not the problem I'll most likely have to take them off anyway to rearrange the cam gears if they weren't lined up right. Thanks for your help!
Old 6th September 2013
Biker

Alright. Checked rocker boxes and push rods are right, intake has small and exhaust has big. Why I put em back idk. HAHA. Popped my cam cover off and here's what I got. Granted...I couldn't get it lined up quite exact because of the cam pressure but it should be readable.

http://s138.photobucket.com/user/Jbr...tml?sort=4&o=0

I don't know how to post picture. Tried the add photo button, but it didn't function quite right. Just click the link and theres 4 pics to see.

OH YEAH! IXL2Relax... I tested compression and the rear cylinder a mere 60 lbs. Front cyl got about 100. This isn't looking good.

Old 6th September 2013

Just click on the IMG tag and paste it in yer text. Hit enter a couple times between each pic and you'll be golden...

Know Thy Hog