The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
Hammer Performance

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
shovel_fl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 Slip-on's best hp

Just wondering if anyone here has done a real life comparison. I've narrowed my choices down to the Rush slip-on's with a 2" baffle, or the S&S slip-on's.

This is for the o/l's bike so I don't want it obnoxiouly loud. Just did a 1200 conversion with a super E carb. No other mods.
Old 22nd January 2014
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of light

I added the SE 2 Sporty mufflers w/SE A/C and it was noticeable.
Changed carb settings too.
I liked the increase in power but it still sounded stock.
Bought both 1992 and 1993 Sporty SE mufflers from eBay.
Great performance plus a good sound.

Look stock but are SE muflers. Underside says off-road only but mufflers are stamped Harley-Davidson on the body.
Keeps everything looking stock!
2002 XL 1200 SE A/C & SE mufflers Mustang seat, Harley Hard Bags, Detachable Backrest w/Luggage Rack Kuryakyn Stop/Turn Signal Controller w/pulse brake, Pegs and Stirrups, Forward Controls, Memphis Fats Windshield
Old 28th January 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
youngdavidt is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't compare the two mufflers, but I have the S&S slip-ons on my '02 883. They are not too loud, but definitely louder than stock. They sound powerful when you crack open the throttle. At highway speed you hear them as a rumble under the wind noise. You can keep them quiet in the neighborhood by keeping the revs down. The volume ramps up with the revs until you hit mid-range, and then the volume evens out but the tone changes. I went with these because I liked the stock look; with the Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit, they really improved throttle response, and you can feel that the bike breathes better when accelerating.
Old 28th January 2014
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: C for Chrome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Eric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really niceEric Von Zipper is just really nice

Got my Rush 1.75s in Craig's List for $100

What I replaced them with, is oh so much better
Old 3rd February 2014
Biker

Thanks for the replies. It seems like there isn't as much choice for the older carburated models as there is for the newer EFI bikes. It currently has SE slip-on's, but it sounds almost as quiet as stock. I just want to get something on there that has a bit more bite and flows better.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd February 2014
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
dwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nice

I've got Cycle Shack side slash mufflers and they are louder than SE. My friends say they sound great. In the old days they were hp champs for the money.

I hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2014
Biker

That's the way I'll probably end up going. I've had a few pair on big twins over the years.
Old 3rd February 2014
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to behold

If you have SE slipons, they probably are SE 2 from what I've read. I think they make pretty good hp for a slip on. I've read that the SE 1 version (not sure when SE 1 stopped) is better. Might be worth keeping them, maybe Hammer or NHRS has a dyno sheet testing them you can compare with others. I have read a lot of good comments on the Cycle Shack pipes as well.

FYI, I have a '91 with what must be the SE 1's since I put them on in '91, and they sound awesome, sounds like a V8 on deceleration and Harley loud on acceleration.

John
Old 3rd February 2014
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud of

Gronk the oem to your taste.
Old 3rd February 2014
Poser Extraordinaire

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R Stage 0.5
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cushman Lowrider
Other Motorcycle Model: Briggs & Stratton Chopper
Sleeper has disabled reputation

+1 for Cycle Shack
I've used Cycle Shack mufflers on 3 different bikes I've owned while they were under the first year's warranty period.
They're cheap to buy, make good HP, and sound good without being too loud.

There's always the Gronk mod you can do to your stock mufflers as an alternative too.
I hadn't done it myself but there are a lot of people that have with good results.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ht=Exhaust+mod