The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heart Attack while Riding !!

Yes The title says it all. .

I had a HEART ATTACK while riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway and crashed my bike in the best possible spot actually.. right near Asheville NC. Home to Mission Hospital.

I Was headed down to Mountain Rest SC for the East Coast Sportster Meetup and riding down the BRP following MIKELI_77 , then me, followed by SportsterPaul, Sprink and Beeman07

Originally, I believed that it was a case of my attention being distracted by some hikers and then when I looked back onto the road seen Mike slowing down and over reacted....

Then when my Dr's and I started piecing the puzzle together, the situation changed.

It appears that my shit stopped working and as a result my right fist clenched.. it just happened to have the brake lever in it at the time..

I had an arrhythmia event and the impact of the crash put me back online.. kinda like when you see the dr punch the patient to kick start him.. just with asphalt...

I Never knew it happened. I broke my leg in the process which kept me from jumping back on the bike and heading on my way.
Once at the hospital I Had very high blood pressure systolic from 180s to 200s and EKG showed Lateral Ischemic changes and Tropinins elevated at 8.25

They fixed my broken leg and then concentrated on my ticker.

After a bunch of tests they revealed that I had a 100% Blockage in LAD and a 70% RCA blockage which they were able to fix with Stents..

So NOW I've got a whole buncha pills to take and have to stay off the bike for at least the rest of this season.. We're hoping to try getting me off the heavy blood thinners by fall.. But no guarantees..

I Can't say enough how grateful I am for the great guys on this forum. Beeman pulled the bike off me like THOR and everyone got the bike safely to a firehouse until the group from SC could come up and get it..

Mike drove both his and my bike in the back of a uhaul to my house in MD.

SportsterPaul then headed up a ride to surprise me at the Hospital..

SO the moral of my story is to go to the friggen doctor and eat healthy .. IT was such a wake up call to my dietary habits.
and in case you're wondering, I'm 46

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 11
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ-07
Other Motorcycle Year: 2016
oreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond reputeoreocat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your going to be better & made it through a tight spot. Look forward to next year.
Old 11th July 2016
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crap! I'm really sorry to hear this. Best wishes for your recovery.

It could have been worse: you could have been riding alone, …

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond repute

Take care Tigger. Best wishes and watch the food intake.
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond reputemikeLI_77 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you figured out the chain of events of what happened and that it was all fixed up fast. You did end up in the best hospital you could have been in for your circumstances. Heel up quick and get back on your bitch so we can ride again. Only I am not leading again.

If You need anything you have my number, don't hesitate to call or text and ask. I will try to come down soon to visit.

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30° reverse dome pistons, billet 2.25" crush forward offset open air cleaner, billet intake manifold, Impact 560's, Sledge Hammer pushrods, Buell XB heads with crush level head porting, Mikuni HSR 45, 177.5 main, 25 slow, Clip 4th slot from top, Jim's powerglide II lifters,
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap, S&S roller rockers, Alto Carbonite clutch with Energy One 15% heavier spring plate, Daytona twin tech single fire ignition 1005s
Ricor intimnators, 13" Ricor IAS shocks, Brembo dual disk setup from a 2012 street glide with matching brembo street glide master cylinder,
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

States I Have rode through
Old 11th July 2016
Doob Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Rv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond reputeRv7garage has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Redd, that's a "holy shit" moment to be sure. Glad you're ok, and it sounds like you will pull through with some lifestyle changes. I'm 43; I had really better start watching what I eat and exercising more!
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeLI_77 View Post
Glad you figured out the chain of events of what happened and that it was all fixed up fast. You did end up in the best hospital you could have been in for your circumstances. Heel up quick and get back on your bitch so we can ride again. Only I am not leading again.

If You need anything you have my number, don't hesitate to call or text and ask. I will try to come down soon to visit.
I had a long interview with one of the cardiologists.. He kept asking me what happened before the crash. and How long I've been riding and what is the likely hood that I'd grab too much brake. have I ever done anything like this before. etc..

after a while he figured I had a silent Heart attack and went down because of it.. if I had been sitting on my couch he reckons I'd not have made it, but the impact got me going again..
Old 11th July 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Erbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond reputeErbie has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap, Tigger! Glad you came thru. Scary.
Old 11th July 2016
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
HD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, man! Glad that it didn't turn out any worse than it did - and that you had some damn fine riding partners with you.
Listen to the docs, take your meds and recover fully.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th July 2016
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200 (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Blvd C50(sold)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
oO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear this man! The impact actually saved you, that's wild. Glad you came away from it.