The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

Here is a pic of my friends 79. He bought it new and it is a regular driver, unrestored, about 20k miles on it now. It has the original dual exhaust.
2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgal...00&ppuser=2447
Old 5th June 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Wow, there are some awesome unrestored original bikes still getting around out there. Great pics. Thanks guys and keep em coming.

How about the original Sportster, those old Flathead Sporty K and KH models? Not really an Ironhead cos the heads were actually aluminium but still the direct sire of the Ironhead spawned in 57, the year after this 56 KHK came out. ]]]

Old 5th June 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
AMF Harley-Davidson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by russzx6 View Post
AMF that alarm is a cracker!!!. . .
Yeah it's a great conversation piece. One of the Indie bike shop's that i go to, chuckled when he saw it, but said that damn thing saved his Brother's bike back in the day. They were pretty high tech for the early 70'S.
It's pretty big and ugly, but it's vintage for the bike. Runs off a 9V says to add another one for below freezing weather or if you use the optional transmitter.
Believe it or not, you could get an optional pocket reciever that worked up to 500ft away, it works off of a CB frequency. These alarms were actually made by a company called Cycle Guard. I have an old '72 Cycle magazine that lists them for sale. Harley contracted with them for use on their '74 and
'75 bikes.

Love looking at all the great bikes on this thread!
Bob
Old 5th June 2008

Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF Harley-Davidson View Post
Yeah it's a great conversation piece. One of the Indie bike shop's that i go to, chuckled when he saw it, but said that damn thing saved his Brother's bike back in the day. They were pretty high tech for the early 70'S.
It's pretty big and ugly, but it's vintage for the bike. Runs off a 9V says to add another one for below freezing weather or if you use the optional transmitter.
Believe it or not, you could get an optional pocket reciever that worked up to 500ft away, it works off of a CB frequency. These alarms were actually made by a company called Cycle Guard. I have an old '72 Cycle magazine that lists them for sale. Harley contracted with them for use on their '74 and
'75 bikes.

Love looking at all the great bikes on this thread!
Bob
Love the warning sticker on it. "very techinical" great stuff.
My mate had one on his 75 - did not take long for the vibration to kill it.
Old 5th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough

Sure you all have seen mine before, but I'll put it in the thread here for others to find.
it should have the short chain guard on it (just got one), a smaller duel seat, different shocks, the earlier tail light, some knobby goodyear grasshopper tires, and some other little stuff to be totally original, but it is real close now. I'll post some pictures of other peoples bikes from my collection when I get home.

Know Thy Hog

Old 5th June 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestuff View Post
Sure you all have seen mine before, but I'll put it in the thread here for others to find...
Love it. How do you keep the white pegs and grips clean?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 6th June 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

This is EXACTLY the same bike as my '77 XLCH that I purchased new back when I was 22. Only changes I made once I got her home was a nice set of tapered duals, a proper set of Buckhorns, sissy bar, oil filter and a Branch Mikuni Solex 2 barrel carb. Also replaced the stock folding kicker and twisted kicker shaft with traditional parts. Pics sure bring back memories.

1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 6th June 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
SLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enough

Man oh man...........all those beautiful 'virgin' bikes! My cut off wheels and welder would be busy for days just a choppin' and a loppin' and a burnin' and a bobbin' .....LOL!

Not really. LOL! They look great just the way they are. Great time capsules! I especially like the lines of the '58. SWEET!!!
Old 9th June 2008

A Sportster Bagger?????
1960 I think.
Old 9th June 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

If these pictures don't get a Sportster guy's heart beating a little faster, make his mouth dry, and make him feel warm and fuzzy all over .. he ain't a real Sportster guy.

Now that's an insti-trip back to the 60's ....
Know Thy Hog