The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Energy One Clutches
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
MikePHX36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DelOrto Dual Throat Carburetor ???

Any one have experience with this type of carb?

Seems very cool....but have never heard of this type of set-up.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/1134858893.html
Old 23rd April 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

I had a big Weber DCOE 40 on my '78 for a while before switching to a smaller dual throat vintage Mikuni Solex carb. The Weber looked great and performed well but I had problems with the long manifold puddling gas a bit, resulting is some cylinder washdown problems.

The carb you're looking at will need a manifold, preferably one like in my photo to give your leg some additional clearance. These are big carbs and they take up some space. Also, quite a bit of tuning is necessary to get them to run right on each particular engine. Some parts can be hard to get as well. I've found that it's much easier to tune the Mikuni Solex than the Weber, even though I've been running Webers on my car for over 30 years.

Eric

My Weber Setup

My Mikuni Solex that I'm now running

1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 23rd April 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the rough

the weber and the delorto are essentailly the same. these carbs were very common on 4 and 6 cyl cars in the 60's (Italian). I have tuned and run Weber carbs but I would agree with Eric regarding the pooling of gas, giant manifold, and they are just too much carb for a sportster...but what the hell...you can never have too much carb.....right?
Old 23rd April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1969 / 1972
Sportster/Buell Year #2: Rigi
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
cnitrofumes is an unknown quantity at this point

My buddy tried and tried one on an evo years ago....we are pretty accomplished tuners and mechanics and we couldn't find a tuneup. Rivera said it was the difference between the west coast and the east coast....OK I remember swapping endless emulsion tubes only to have it run good mid to full throttle then load up at a stoplight. Probably manifold puddling !!! Made so much snot over the single bore carb at full throttle it was driving thru the clutch !!!!
Old 28th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: '82 XLH
downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up dellorto DLHA 40

Thats what i run on my '82.... Dellorto DHLA 40
They are essentially the same as a webber but the parts are not interchangeable (i'm told).
Dellorto's aren't made any more but i haven't had any problem getting parts.
It took a little bit of trial and error setting up, but i think i've got it pretty right now.
I haven't had any issues with it (and i've had it for more than a year), and they look pretty cool.
I probably use a bit too much fuel, but what the hell.
If you get it you'll definately need a manifold,otherwise it will be in the way.
I'd say go for it. Stand out from the crowd.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
MikePHX36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Downunder, I might call the guy tomorrow and see if he still has it... I like the different look of it..... just hope it does not add to my list "challenges" I have with my bike.
Old 28th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
Toolmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran a dual throat Dellorto for a short while on a rigid '73 Ironhead. I had problems with not enough fuel flow to keep the float bowl full of gas. I was using a standard petcock. I never got to try a high flow petcock 'cause I blew the transmission out the back of the cases first.