The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Superbrace
Figure Machine
Motor Stage
Licks Holiday

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Hogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant future
Default Brake fluid

A friend and I were discussing brake fluid as my bike is 10 yrs old and he said I should change the brake fluid. I had never heard of such a thing as I had never just changed it, unless I was rebuilding the master cylinder, etc. But he said one should as it could get contaminated over time.

So of course after riding yesterday, it seemed as though my rear brake was pulsating lightly as if I had ABS and it got me to thinking about our conversation.

I've got new pads which probably have ~5,000 miles on them.

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

I would think you should replace the brake fluid once a year.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23rd May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Cyclone M2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cafe Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
zenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished roadzenfrogmaster is on a distinguished road

+1 for an annual fluid change - it's quick and easy, and good insurance. That won't address your pulsing rear rotor, which just might need a quick scrub.
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

I bleed my brakes once a year simply to bleed out moisture at the caliper. I might flush all the fluid once every 3 yrs or so, again what you are fighting is moisture in the system. You may have heard of racers flushing more often as extreme heat is an enemy that may cause a breakdown in the additive package, just like in motor oil. I would bet money that 90% of street bikes never get fresh fluid !!
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
mid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nice

Could be a warped roater
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 >1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Matchless G80CS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
PNWfrank is an unknown quantity at this point

+2 for the annual fluid change, brake fluid is hygroscopic and the retained water will decrease the boiling point of the fluid. Boiling brake fluid = spongy brake lever = bad thing
like increased stopping distance.

PNW frank
Old 23rd May 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I change mine every year

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 23rd May 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

Dot 5 fluid is silicone based. It is not supposed to suck up moisture. I did a complete change on mine in 1997 and haven't touched it since.
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato
Old 23rd May 2009
Oh $&!t, now what. . .

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
beornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of light

There's a simple way to check if you should change your brake fluid. Pop a master cylinder cover and see what color the fluid is. DOT 5 turns from purple to a clear amber over time. An indie told me its UV that does that to it, just from the little level check lens. Anyway, he recommended changing it annually or when its not purple anymore.
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

If its DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 then I change it every couple of years or so as it absorbs water and gets spongy. A normal bleed through until it runs clear does the job.

If its DOT 5 then it doesn't absorb water but the water that does get in (by magic?) settles to the bottom of the system and normal bleeding doesn't remove it. However it takes years on a road machine for even a tiny amount to build up so its best left alone.

Fox
Know Thy Hog