The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Motor Stage

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
nightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished road
Default Dons Cycleware Syde Kick Solo Bag Install

Well here is my how-to on installing this insane solo bag. I put this on 2 weeks ago and love it! I thought I would keep my promise to Don and show how I installed this on my skoot:

1. First I took off my left side passenger foot peg for the time being and set them aside. I put it back on later after I bought some washers to extend it out from frame.

2. I bought a piece of black vinyl from edecals.com for about 5-6 dollars to place on my battery cover for protection and to save the paint. (just a note: I also used this vinyl to install on my upper fork, looks awesome!)

3. Then I began running my leather straps thru the frame...just a side note: I only used the front and middle straps of the bag. The rear strap had nothing to attached its self too!

4. The forward strap was the toughest one due to the fact of all the wiring and hoses Harley stuffs under the wishbone: I recommend getting it started and pull thru with some pliers or your fingers are gonna cramp.

5. Once all the straps are secure to the frame(wishbone) and fender strut pull tight and run back thru back of bag. Because I only used two straps I had to punch holes thru the straps to make it tighter to the frame. If you run Road King shocks like mine the bag should fit snug under the shock! It took me about 45 minutes to put on after some trial and error with the straps.

Finished Product:

This bag has tons of room in it, I am in the military and can fit all my physical training clothes including running shoes! I hope this helps anyone that is thinking about getting this solo bag...it is worth every penny! Hit me up if you have any questions...PEACE!

The Rev
Old 21st March 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
OrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud ofOrangeR has much to be proud of
Default Nice Write Up.

Hi nightsterfreak,

That's a great write up and a very nice looking bag.

I guess you must have a fair bit of sideways play to and from the bike, especially lower down. Have you checked to see if it rubs against any of the moving parts behind it?

Here's a photo of where I mean:

Just interested as the paintwork on your swinging arm looks as shiny as mine.........

Cheers,

OR.......
Old 22nd March 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsterfreak View Post
Well here is my how-to on installing this insane solo bag. I put this on 2 weeks ago and love it! I thought I would keep my promise to Don and show how I installed this on my skoot:

1. First I took off my left side passenger foot peg for the time being and set them aside. I put it back on later after I bought some washers to extend it out from frame.

2. I bought a piece of black vinyl from edecals.com for about 5-6 dollars to place on my battery cover for protection and to save the paint. (just a note: I also used this vinyl to install on my upper fork, looks awesome!)

3. Then I began running my leather straps thru the frame...just a side note: I only used the front and middle straps of the bag. The rear strap had nothing to attached its self too!

4. The forward strap was the toughest one due to the fact of all the wiring and hoses Harley stuffs under the wishbone: I recommend getting it started and pull thru with some pliers or your fingers are gonna cramp.

5. Once all the straps are secure to the frame(wishbone) and fender strut pull tight and run back thru back of bag. Because I only used two straps I had to punch holes thru the straps to make it tighter to the frame. If you run Road King shocks like mine the bag should fit snug under the shock! It took me about 45 minutes to put on after some trial and error with the straps.

Finished Product:

This bag has tons of room in it, I am in the military and can fit all my physical training clothes including running shoes! I hope this helps anyone that is thinking about getting this solo bag...it is worth every penny! Hit me up if you have any questions...PEACE!

The Rev
Hi Rev,

I really appreciate the write up! I get questions all the time regarding installation.

A lot of folks don't understand how flexible Solo bag installation is. You can install them in a variety of positions, that's why they have three long straps.

Good pics! I have a series of photos basically showing the backs of my hands doing mysterious things to a motorcycle. Not very helpful .

Ozark
Old 22nd March 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
malingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura about

That looks much bigger than the licks solo bag,is it
Old 22nd March 2010

ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by malingerer View Post
That looks much bigger than the licks solo bag,is it
I'm not sure about the Licks bag. Mine are approximately:

and 5 inches thick.

Ozark
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd March 2010
Master Mechanic

nightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished roadnightsterfreak is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think the bag is bigger than the Licks Bag, which is what I wanted. This is what I put inside: Tool Kit, Dew rag, clear glasses, zip ties, and shirt...I tested the swaying after I installed it and nothing was different. I did the hands off the handlebar test and it stayed straight as an arrow at 60mph, I also rode my wife on the back after I re-installed the passenger peg and it worked great, she had no complaints and as far as I know it does not rub anything at all! Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 22nd March 2010
Master Mechanic

and Orange...its the original paint, I baby my Nighty...lol
Old 23rd March 2010

Default I just received one black left hand bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsterfreak View Post

Finished Product:

The Rev
Hi Rev,

Do you mind if I use your photos and instructions for a installation instruction page on my site?

By the way, I just received one black left hand bag. It's listed in my store:
Syde-KIck Solo bag I'm guessing that it will last a day or so.

Ozark
Old 23rd March 2010
Master Mechanic

Be my guest Don...I dont mind at all brother, I would like to thank you again for a great bag!!!
Old 30th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2009 xl 883r
decfitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , i just got my DCW syde kick solo bag today in the post and i am very impressed with it ,there is alot more space in it than i thought , looking forward to fitting it at the weekend .The install pics will help .I will post a photo when its on ..
Know Thy Hog