The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200x
Other Motorcycle Model: 08 zx6r ninja (for sale)
sonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japexican View Post
Posted these pics on a different forum...been meaning to post here. Just put my 48 together the month of June. Here you go....it was fun building again. This was a internal wiring project..that just manifested into something more... Always does...

Curious how you mounted your seat. Did you remove or take away some of the seat/tank mounting block? I'm trying to frame mount mine.

Last edited by Folkie; 1st November 2014 at 19:27..
Old 8th July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Japexican is on a distinguished roadJapexican is on a distinguished roadJapexican is on a distinguished road

Exactly what i did. Purchased a universal bracket for the biltwell seat but the mounting part on the frame was to wide. Had to shave off some of the block on each side to fit the bracket for the seat. Wish i did this before i painted the frame... But purchased the seat last... As for the tank... i originally cut the mounting bracket on the neck part of my tank so i could move the tank up some. I welded bungs on my frame so i could mount the tank a little higher without using the tank risers you normally see. Ill try to post pics.
Old 8th July 2013
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Forty-Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: RGC CVO
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
wachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to beholdwachuko is a splendid one to behold

Updated photo now with the Bobcat exhaust installed... man, the exhaust note now is soooo frigging sweet! And it sounds even angrier when beating the crap out of it.

Old 9th July 2013
Biker

sonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura aboutsonic40 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Exactly what i did. Purchased a universal bracket for the biltwell seat but the mounting part on the frame was to wide. Had to shave off some of the block on each side to fit the bracket for the seat. Wish i did this before i painted the frame... But purchased the seat last... As for the tank... i originally cut the mounting bracket on the neck part of my tank so i could move the tank up some. I welded bungs on my frame so i could mount the tank a little higher without using the tank risers you normally see. Ill try to post pics.
Great! I've wanted to do this for a while but haven't had the balls to cut off the mount and tank tabs. Love to see it.
Old 10th July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Japexican is on a distinguished roadJapexican is on a distinguished roadJapexican is on a distinguished road

Hey Sonic....here are the pics I could scrounge up.

Stock Tank....deciding what to cut.

What I cut..

Mock up for my bungs. Wanted to mount it up some without using the tank risers you normally see.

Finished product with the bungs. Used the originally tank holes for my side mirror.

Here is a top view. Even though I got the universal mount for the solo seat...had to shave down that mount a little on the sides so it fit. It was cake. Seat mount fits perfectly.

Done!

Last edited by Folkie; 1st November 2014 at 19:43..
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th July 2013
Biker

Quote:
Hey Sonic....here are the pics I could scrounge up.

Stock Tank....deciding what to cut.

What I cut..

Mock up for my bungs. Wanted to mount it up some without using the tank risers you normally see.

Finished product with the bungs. Used the originally tank holes for my side mirror.

Here is a top view. Even though I got the universal mount for the solo seat...had to shave down that mount a little on the sides so it fit. It was cake. Seat mount fits perfectly.

Done!

Awesome, thanks! The tank looks so much better set back a little bit. I have wanted to do this for a while but wasn't sure how to mount the front of the tank. I did start cutting my seat block a while back, that thing is a bear. This might be a winter project. Thanks again.

Last edited by Folkie; 1st November 2014 at 19:43..
Old 13th July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Forty-Height
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
the48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschumac12 View Post
Thanks! I'm enjoying how it's turning out. It's nice to have some sort of vision at the start of a project and see it all come together.

I'll post the only other pictures I have. Bike is at a buddy's house on the lift. Doing some more brake bleeding and finishing some small things. (It's been pouring here for days so not missing any riding anyways) The seat fits in perfectly with my tank, but it's a 3.2 gallon, not the stock 2.1. It snugs right up to the end of the tank very nicely.

As far as the seat goes, I think a 2x4 with rusty nails sticking out would be more a more comfortable seat than the 48's stock one. I could ride about 45 minutes before I starting feeling pain on the stock seat. I went on a 150 mile ride last weekend on the new seat and I felt fine. Much more room on the seat and my weight is more evenly distributed. Not to mention I'm not sliding off this one with a little bit of throttle. I think it'll only get better as it breaks in but at this point I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'll get some close up's of the seat while I'm working on it and post back.

Also, I have some extra sets of the tappet covers like I have (wrinkle black powder coated) if anyone is interested. I didn't like the look of the chrome block on the mostly black motor.
Your scoot is very inspiring. I was looking into that seat I was just not seeing anyone with it installed with pics. It's killer.

Have you look at which passenger pillion goes with it? I have the HD springer seat with the HD pillion for it for when I wanna' let my girl hop on for a ride, I don't think the pillion fits that seat..

Enjoy it.
Old 13th July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Forty-Height
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
the48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of lightthe48'ster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyQuady View Post
Hey man,your bike looks great. It might have been asked before so sorry about that. I'd like to know what rear fender you guys are using to get that rad look.

thanks
Old 13th July 2013
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLD Switchback
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2012
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
CrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to beholdCrazyQuady is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the48'ster View Post
Hey man,your bike looks great. It might have been asked before so sorry about that. I'd like to know what rear fender you guys are using to get that rad look.

thanks
Thanks, I started with this one and just cut it down until it fit like I wanted; http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1146/...-steel-fender/

Im hardtailing my bike, so if your interested I could probly sell yah that fender/sissybar setup I think its still laying around my bro's shop.
Old 13th July 2013
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Rockabillphil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by the48'ster View Post
Here's mine so far. It's not much but I'm just starting.
Nice looking bike man, love the exhaust, what kind is it?

Do you like your saddle? I've got the same one on my Iron and find it comfortable for a saddle that thin.