The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
DK Customs
DK Customs
DK Customs
DK Customs

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kramerb76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 03 sportster dies and wont start when hot.

Ok having a problem with an 03 1200 Sportster not wanting to start when it is hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Little history, bike is stock as far as I can tell. Went out for a ride last week about 15-20 mins and had dinner. Came out about 45 mins later (it was sitting in the sun) and wouldn't start. Got a new battery yesterday and was riding about 30 mins on side streets when it started to sputter like it was out of gas, pulled over and wouldn't start for about 30 mins. once I got it started to limp it home and it died again, this time wouldn't start for about an hour. So I started it up today and let it run then went around the block a couple of times, got home and tried to re-start it about 2 mins later and it just cranks and backfires. Pulled the rear cylinder plug and cranked it and there is spark (dont know how big its supposed to be but was there), correction just pulled both plugs and held to the cylinder and front one sparked once and then nothing on either after that. If it is cold it starts after 1 or two turns. Tried to heat the coil with a blowdryer and it never died. Trying to figure out if its the ignition module or fuel problem. Dont know how to check for fuel. Also tried removing the gas cap and trying to start to no avail. Only thing I have had done is my shop adjust the mixture on the card to get rid of the idle "farts" when I first got it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th June 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
mistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura aboutmistert923 has a spectacular aura about

How long did you hold the hair dryer on the ignition module? I had the same problem, same symptoms etc last summer on my '99 and it was the ignition module. I had to hold the hair dryer on the module with the bike running for about 5-10 minutes, all the while intermittently revving the engine and as you start to create load on the module (ie revving the engine) that's when it started to missfire (sputtering and sounds like its running out of gas). The fact that you were not getting a spark at the plug after that initial one also points that its an ignition problem. I would try the hair dryer a little longer, and also pick up a can of compressed air (like keyboard duster at office max) and once engine dies, spray this condensed air on the module which will cool it down. If it fires right back up, that's your problem. Good luck!
Old 13th June 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL quick bob
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
way fast whitey is on a distinguished roadway fast whitey is on a distinguished road

ive had this problem... your ignition module is going out. replace it with a stock one if you dont want any headaches.... also go ahead and delete the bank angle sensor while your at it... it usually craps out right after the ignition... just ground the green wire with the white stripe coming from the ignition to delete the bank angle sensor..
Old 13th June 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCustom 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Fourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enoughFourcats will become famous soon enough

In all likelyhood its the module. The S/E replacement offers a higher rev limiter setting and a better ignition curve. You don't have to hit the limiter , but the improved curve is nice.
Old 13th June 2010
Biker

cm6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes on ignition module. I to am a victim. Exact same problem
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
nmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud of

I think you can recognize the pattern here....+1 on the module.
When I carry a gun, I donít do so because Iím looking for a fight, but
because Iím looking to be left alone. - Marko Kloos

XLF Road Help [URL]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=670716[/URL]

My recent accident [URL]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=4397043#poststop[/URL]
Old 13th June 2010
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerb76 View Post
... Pulled the rear cylinder plug and cranked it and there is spark (dont know how big its supposed to be but was there), correction just pulled both plugs and held to the cylinder and front one sparked once and then nothing on either after that. If it is cold it starts after 1 or two turns. Tried to heat the coil with a blowdryer and it never died...
You probably need:

If you're losing the spark, it's not fuel related. It could be a bad connection from module or coil. I've been through a few of the modules from overheating.
Old 15th June 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert923 View Post
How long did you hold the hair dryer on the ignition module? I had the same problem, same symptoms etc last summer on my '99 and it was the ignition module. I had to hold the hair dryer on the module with the bike running for about 5-10 minutes, all the while intermittently revving the engine and as you start to create load on the module (ie revving the engine) that's when it started to missfire (sputtering and sounds like its running out of gas). The fact that you were not getting a spark at the plug after that initial one also points that its an ignition problem. I would try the hair dryer a little longer, and also pick up a can of compressed air (like keyboard duster at office max) and once engine dies, spray this condensed air on the module which will cool it down. If it fires right back up, that's your problem. Good luck!
Want to make sure I was heating the same part. I held the hair dryer up to the coil that is behind the downtubes where the spark pulgs come from, also tried to cool it with compressed air and still nothing. Do I need to do the same thing to the Ignition Module (right side of engine under a rivetted cover and used to set timing)? want to make sure I am talking about the same parts. That is what I was leaning towards.
Old 15th June 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Rigid XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
billy bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nicebilly bob is just really nice

You were heating the ignition coil. The ignition module (behind the riveted cover) is the part that is prone to failure due to excessive heat inside the nose cone. Drill out the rivets with a small bit, then you can tap the holes and replace the rivets with small allen bolts or screws.
Old 15th June 2010
Biker

Thats what i thought. Thank you gonna try that.
Know Thy Hog