The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Speedway Instruments
Ironworks Magazine
Dead Creek Cycles
BIKE BUILDER

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2010
Biker

xlproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ironhead sportster piston mods (what have you done to better performance)

Here are my machined pistons for the 1000 cc xlcr.

56 g = 1.97534 oz lighter than forged wiseco pistons

24.16 g = 0.852218 oz lighter than stock sportster pistons

Old 19th October 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

Get them coated and put on Total Seal Gapless rings and you will be a happy man.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 19th October 2010
Biker

Default Ironhead sportster piston mods (what have you done to better performance)

They will get coated next.

Still got a trick up my sleeve. Iīm machining new wrist pins right now.

I canīt find the the top gapless rings on the total seal web site. Anybody got a part number??

Buy the way the pistons are cnc machined .020 oversized wiseco pistons.
Old 19th October 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZX6E
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
bobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nicebobber58 is just really nice

I'd spend some time hand finishing them. Round off those ridges on the tops of the domes, especially on the corners. Those sharp angles will create hot spots that can lead to pre ignition, then coat them. Have you measured the new domes? How much compression are you gonna lose? A light weight piston won't give you a performance advantage, but they will be a little easier on the rods at high rpm, but the lower compression will give you a performance difference.To really gain a longevity advantage you would need to go with a big bore and shorter stroke to get the piston speed down. That's what they did with the Evo's. Just wondering what you are trying to accomplish by lightening the pistons?
Old 19th October 2010
Biker

Should give me better acceleration quicker throttle response (less rotating mass). Also hoping to get less stress on the rod and main bearings. Better oiling on the wrist pinīs and wrist pin bushings (2 extra oil holes).
Better top ring sealing (vertical gas ports).

The comp ratio is 9.5:1

Should work great with the cams i got.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th October 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I canīt find the the top gapless rings on the total seal web site. Anybody got a part number??
I feel like I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried searching by the bore size?

http://www.totalseal.com/SearchByBore.aspx
Old 20th October 2010
Master Bike Builder

fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

Try calling Total Seal I'm sure they will help you out.

Just a question, why do you want the top ring gapless? I am running the second ring gapless in my 93" stroker with 10.5 pistons and it works just fine. I also put gapless in my stock 900cc '68 XLCH and the bike runs great.
Old 20th October 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

FDNY, both rings or one only on the '68? Kick start only I assume?
Old 20th October 2010
Master Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
FDNY, both rings or one only on the '68? Kick start only I assume?
Only one ring is the gapless ring and it is usually the second ring. That is the setup I'm running on both my Sportsters and I highly recommend the Total Seal gapless rings.

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.as...plessPistRings
Old 20th October 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Only one ring is the gapless ring and it is usually the second ring. That is the setup I'm running on both my Sportsters and I highly recommend the Total Seal gapless rings.
That is the same set up I have used in several car engines I have built, In fact you can buy just the second ring set from total seal if your pistons came with a set already.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Know Thy Hog