The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
883 Sportster
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace
RYCA Motors

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Baloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Checking Engine Oil Level

Hi folks, quick question.

I have 2 manuals for my Ironhead, one is a Clymer and the other Haynes. One suggests leaving the bike on the side stand while checking the oil, the other to stand the bike upright.

I am checking with the dipstick placed in the hole rather than pushed in tight.

I presume it will not make too much difference which way I do it, as long as the tank has plenty of oil in it?

Besides spillage is there much of a problem if there is a bit too much oil in. I know with Cars generally too much can be a problem due to the resevior being in the sump. Wouldnt think that would matter so much with an Ironhead as it is a pumped system?

If it makes any difference mine is an XLX.
Old 30th October 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Check oil hot,just after shutdown, with the bike level. Level is good at 1/2" to 1/4" from the fill opening.
Old 30th October 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

On my 1980 i checked it one time with the bike level. Then i put it on the side stand and checked it again. I thenceforth used that level, never again going thru the stupid process of getting the bike level.
Old 31st October 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Bike level means upright as opposed to sitting on the kickstand to get a better look at what level is while riding. To me it is easy to overfill checking oil on the kickstand. FWIW.
Old 31st October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1982
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nedster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
On my 1980 i checked it one time with the bike level. Then i put it on the side stand and checked it again. I thenceforth used that level, never again going thru the stupid process of getting the bike level.
+1 on what Mick said
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st November 2010
Biker

just1pepsi is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do it either way.
You want to do it hot, unless its been sitting broke down for awhile and you don't remember where you were at oil-wise before doing the repairs.
I do it with it on the stand because I'm not screwing around trying to level the damn thing out.

For what its worth after its been sitting awhile either due to bad weather or break down, I'll use a flashlight to look in and make sure I have oil returning to the tank, thats regardless of fill level. I've also ridden a good distance with low oil, (as long as its circulating you're OK)
Old 1st November 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

You push the cap/dipstick in all the way to check the oil level. As long as your bike doesn't lean waaaay over on the kickstand, you won't get much difference in the reading by standing it up straight. I don't even use the dipstick any more - I can tell about where the right oil level is just by looking into the tank.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 1st November 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Hi folks, quick question.

I have 2 manuals for my Ironhead, one is a Clymer and the other Haynes. One suggests leaving the bike on the side stand while checking the oil, the other to stand the bike upright.

I am checking with the dipstick placed in the hole rather than pushed in tight.

I presume it will not make too much difference which way I do it, as long as the tank has plenty of oil in it?

Besides spillage is there much of a problem if there is a bit too much oil in. I know with Cars generally too much can be a problem due to the resevior being in the sump. Wouldnt think that would matter so much with an Ironhead as it is a pumped system?

If it makes any difference mine is an XLX.
Inside your oil tank there are two stand pipes.
These are for the crankcase vent and the oil return line.
Both stand pipes end about a half inch from the top of the tank.
You most likely cannot see these stand pipes, but just accept that they are there.
Over filling the tank to cover the stand pipes is something you do not want to do.
Easy to avoid that by not letting the oil level get more than 1 inch from the top of the tank.
pg
Old 1st November 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
Inside your oil tank there are two stand pipes.
These are for the crankcase vent and the oil return line....
I don't think the late model Ironhead tanks are built that way. I believe the return line enters near the top of the tank, and the vent line is attached to the top of the tank.
Old 1st November 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice folks, some of it a bit conflicting, same as my manuals realy. :-)

The "dipstick" on my tank may well be an after market one as it has a temp guage on it.

As a general rule, if I stand the bike pretty much as straight as I can, how far down should the oil be?

I recently had it serviced and didint think to check the oil immediatly after, with the bike up straight the oil is just touching the bottom of the stick. I have only done about 200 miles since the service, my hope is that they didnt fill it correctly, as that seems to be a lot of oil to get through in a short time.

So if you can give me some idea of how much I should see through the hole would be great. I appreciate BukIrider suggested about 1/2" below the filler hole. Is this about right?

Thanks again. Chris.
Know Thy Hog